22 December 2012

Ancient Prophecy


Doomsday. There has already been a series of the so-called doomsday prophecy saying that the world will end on certain years or dates. There have been patrons of such things but up to this date, the world is still revolving. Yet, another date was to be recorded in the doomsday timeline. 21.12.2012.

The other day, the home page of one of my social network accounts was, well, kinda plagued with the doomsday stuffs. It was supposed to be yesterday, 21st December. However, when I came to work early yesterday morning, my colleague told me that it was Mexico's time. So, following Mexico's time in Singapore, it will be today which is 22nd December. Will the world or, at the very least, the species of humanity cease to exist?

"The end of the world."

I don't really know how to believe it. I can come up with several occurrences that will lead to the end of the world. I am still waiting for the 2019 asteroid thing that was in the news several years ago, though I think that it has already changed its course. Each one can interpret the phrase in several different ways too. Does that mean that all the living things will cease to exist? Or will the earth stop revolving? Will it rotate counter-clockwise? Will some huge planet or star collide with the Earth? Or will a black hole suddenly formed out of the blue and devour our planet? Or will it just explode since it's already time, just like a time bomb? Or will natural calamities occur all at once - tsunamis, earthquakes, storms, hurricanes, total darkness, huge lightnings, widespread fire - and leave everything in a mess with not a single living being alive and suffering?

Should the world really end in whatever way it may, it means that another world will start anew, is it not? I mean, endings always bring forth new beginnings. So, should the Earth's inhabitants cease to exist leaving the planet intact, that means that millions of years later another history will unfold. Or should the planet be destroyed, then the debris and remains will one day join with other rocks or stars and form another planet. At least, I hope so.

More than the end of the world, I am currently concerned with another thing - the end of humanity. I was reading a fictional story about existence and evolution. I just began reading the book, but that was what the part I'm reading is about. One day I will cease to exist, and so is everyone else. Then it occurred to me that, other species have ceased to exist like the humongous dinosaurs. I wondered when human species' turn will be. In another billion years time? Or, will our species even cease from existing? Science and technology were both becoming more advance by the minute and human minds are developing non-stop that it's almost scary. In the future, reviving the dead, or not dying might both be possible. The humanoids, vampires and zombies, that we only see in sci-fi films, will one day become species co-existing with humans. It could be possible that humans without any modifications in their body could become rare, or rather, extinct. Future holds nothing impossible for the present. Everything is possible.

Fantasies aside, everyone living in this day will one day die. As I am writing, the dire thought that someone is on the verge of death somewhere is kinda bothering me now. Each person is meant to die, at one's time, and not even doctors can't do anything about that. Homer mentioned in his The Odyssey, 'Still death is certain, and when a man's hour came, not even the gods can help him, no matter how fond they are of him.' Most stories has this rule of granting any wish besides reviving the dead, as well. Is that so much of a taboo? That, I don't know. But still, immortality, as of today, is not possible, but death is certain. And, as of today, we only have once to live our life. It is all up to us to live it fully or let it dull away.

For now, I'll be waiting until 2359 hrs of today for the doomsday, should it really happen. The anticipation is quite thrilling but the grave thought of dying in one blink of the eyes is frightening. I still have to wait for 21 hours should the world not end any time earlier. Let's look forward to another day for now.

[LVELJ.C08   22.12.2012]

No comments: