09 March 2012

Afternoon Nature Trips

My days off from work are my very precious time for myself. I used it for relaxation, having fun and whatever comes in mind. But most of the time, I wanna use it for afternoon jogs. I've been doing it for a while now. I started it last month, February. I think it's healthy for me so I'll stick with it.

My favorite part of the jog is that I'm doing it in a forest like setting. The air is cooler and fresher, it's peaceful and quiet, and it's not crowded. Indeed I feel very tired after every jog. I allocate at least one to one and a half hour for my jogs. I also do stretching before I start my jog. I also alternate walking, jogging and a bit of running.

There is actually a trail that you can follow if you want to have longer jogs. There were parks connected to each other and that makes the trail. The parks connected to each other are Zhenghua Park, Bukit Panjang Park Connector, Pang Sua Park, Choa Chu Kang Park, Bukit Batok Nature Park, Bukit Timah Park and Dairy Farm Nature Park. I have only been to the first three parks plus Petir Park. That's the route I am currently taking. If I get used to this route, I might decide to proceed to Choa Chu Kang Park.

By the way, the parks are not flat throughout the entire route; there were upward and downward slopes which make it even better. There are also streets you have to cross to reach the next park. Basically, it's not completely a forest trail. I think I am weird because I am the only one who is waiting for the green man before crossing the street. Well, my reason was because it's too risky to just cross the street. There were various things that might be put on risk just by not properly crossing the street.

My personal tips before going for a jog.

Eat a proper meal during lunch and don't eat an hour or two before going for a jog. You wouldn't want to get appendicitis for sure.

Drink lots of water hours before going for a jog. You will eventually lose lots of water in your body during and after your jog.

Drink lots of water, gradually, after your jog. It is so you can replenish the water lost from your body. It's better to keep our body hydrated and water just causes some magic to our body.

Do a full-body stretching before starting your jog. You cannot just run right away. I's a basic rule for fitness and sports. Or else, you can just suffer the after-effects of not performing basic stretching.

Start by walking for some time, then start jogging, and then start running (if you wish to). It's better to gradually accelerate the speed. You can save your stamina and last longer by doing this.

Alternate walking, jogging and running. You must keep up with your body's physique. Others can go for an entire route running without having a fit, and others just can't last by doing that. You can adjust your routine after doing your jogs for sometime. You have to allow your body to adjust with your healthy activity.

Here are photos taken during my afternoon jogs. I used Ipod Touch for these.

Well, all the best for our healthy lifestyle :)

No comments: